Boston Globe
 March 26, 1980 
 By Globe Staff

 Terrell Walker, 24, formerly of Dorchester, was sentenced to 18 to 20 
 years in prison yesterday after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the 
 slaying of a Boston detective during a Roxbury holdup on Nov. 30, 1973.

 Judge Andrew R. Linscott in Suffolk Superior Court imposed the term on 
 Walker after the defendant admitted killing Detective John D. Schroeder 
 during a robbery of the Suffolk Loan Co. on Washington street.

 Walker also was given four concurrent 15 to 20 year terms for four armed 
 robbery indictments. He will be eligible for parole in six years, having 
 already served six years.

 Walker was convicted on a first degree murder charge by an Essex Superior 
 Court jury in August 1974. After an appeal process, his conviction was 
 reversed and remanded for a new trial by the US Court of Appeals.

 The manslaughter plea was negotiated between Suffolk Dist. Atty. Newman 
 Flanagan and Walker's lawyer, Norman Salkind.

 Schroeder was in the Suffolk Loan office when three young men, all armed 
 with handguns, burst into the pawnshop and began scooping jewelry from the 
 display cases.

 Detective Sgt. Robert Hudson told Linscott that Schroeder got into a 
 struggle with Walker and was fatally wounded. "He (Schroeder) fell to the 
 floor and the defendant went through his clothes, removed his badge, his 
 wallet and his service revolver."

 Besides Walker, Anthony J. Irving, 18, Nathaniel Williams, 21, and Ella 
 Mae Ellison, 27, were arrested and charged with being involved in the 
 robbery. All lived in the Columbia Point Housing Project.

 Irving and Williams pleaded guilty to second degree murder and armed 
 robbery charges and testified against both Ellison and Walker in their 
 trials. Irving and Williams are serving life sentences.

 Ellison's first degree murder conviction was later reversed by the 
 Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the indictments against her were 
 dismissed when Irving and Williams recanted their testimony naming her as 
 the driver of the escape car.

 Due to the recantation of Irving's and Williams' testimony and the deaths 
 of two other prosecution witnesses, Flanagan said he "regrettably had to 
 enter into a plea bargain with defendant's counsel."

 Flanagan added that "a jury of (Walker's) peers found him guilty and the 
 Supreme Judicial Court upheld the conviction as did a judge of the US 
 District Court.

 "Unfortunately, a circuit court of appeals made new law to the benefit of 
 the defendant and to the detriment of the public, a law prosecutors must 
 live with but with which I do not agree," Flanagan said.

 "Nevertheless, I am satisfied the ends of justice, as far as the public is 
 concerned, were met, taking all of the circumstances under consideration."

 Schroeder's brother, Walter, a Boston Police patrolman, was shot and 
 killed in a holdup of a Brighton bank on Sept. 23, 1970.